You can connect to other websites from this website which are not under the jurisdiction of BookMeth. The nature, content and availability of such pages are not regulated by us. A recommendation or acceptance of the views articulated within them does not generally mean the incorporation of any ties. Connecting to our web implies acknowledging this policy agreement .
;; PREFACE This Guide is designed to meet the needs of visitors who are not specialists. All the collections are un- usually fully labelled, and it is not proposed to repeat labels here, but to supplement them. It is the work of several hands. The Greek and Graeco-Roman collec- tions have been dealtwithby Dr. Percy Gardner,Lincoln and Merton Professor of Classical Ai-t and Archaeology the Egyptian sculpture by Mr. F. LI. Griffith, University Reader in Egyptology, who has also written most of the Introduction to the Egyptiansection on the First Floor therestofthe EgyptiancollectionsbyMissM.A.Murray, Curator of the Edwards Museum. The Prehistoric sections are by Mr. E. T. Leeds, Assistant-Keeper, with the exception of the Aegean section, which has been written by the Keeper of the Antiquarium, Mr. D. G.
6 INTEODUOTION chambers in the Temple consumed what is said to have been a considerable part of the rarities. Notwithstanding this the University agreed to Ashmole's terms, and the foundation-stone of the building in Broad Street, which housed the Museum for more than two centuries, was laid in May, 1679. The building wasfinished in 1683, and the Museum was opened to the public on May21 ofthat yearby James, Duke ofYork, afterwards James II, accompanied by Mary Beatrice, his Duchess,andPrincess,afterwards Queen, Anne. Thefoundationincludedachemicallaboratory,together with room for the teaching ofchemistry, and was primarily a scientific one according to the ideas of that age, which included archaeology amongst philosophic studies. Ash- mole's libraryand collectionofMSS., withthoseofAnthony Wood and John Aubrey, subsequently added, also formed part ofthe Museum. Dr. Eobert Plot was appointed first Keeper, and from a manuscriptcatalogue in Latin drawn up by him about 1690 it is possible to gather a very complete idea ofthe collections at that date.